Not A Member?
Camp all year with a Thousand Trails Camping Pass! Join Now
Oakzanita Springs RV Campground11053 Highway 79, Descanso, CA 91916 view map
- Open Dates: 05/15 - 12/31
- Number of Sites: 118
- Reservations (Member): 1-800-388-7788
- Reservations (Non-member): 1-888-481-6348
- Ranger Station: 619-445-2515
- Zone: Southwest
Year-Round RV Camp in California
Experience any of the four seasons to the fullest with an Oakzanita Springs RV Camping trip! As fall and winter present varying weather conditions, please keep in mind the swimming pools and weekend breakfasts are out of operation during these seasons and store hours are limited. But the calming sights of nature in California at 4,000 feet of elevation is reason enough to plan a fall or winter visit to Oakzanita Springs RV Camping!
For summer visitors, this RV camp in California couldn't be more perfect. Guests can expect warm days and comfortable nights, along with an abundance of activities. Planned activities are available on the weekends, while fishing opportunities are just a short distance away at Cuyamaca Lake. For additional off site activity, Oakzanita Springs RV Camping is a 45-minute drive from all of San Diego's wonderful attractions.
*An important reminder about campfires: We are in a high fire danger area, so no wood fires are allowed except under wet conditions. Pressed wood logs and charcoal are permitted year round.*
Clean restrooms, a comfortable lodge area, and free WiFi access round out the first-class service you’ll find at Oakzanita Springs. Our RV camping areas are a bit remote, but you can get Verizon and Sprint cell service at the RV camp park. And even though we may be in the California mountains, we have a small camp store with basic camping supplies, novelties and ice. Best of all, Oakzanita Springs is just a short, 45-minute drive from all of San Diego’s wonderful attractions.
Oakzanita Springs' Northbound Entrance Warning
We do not advise that large RVs use our campground entrance when coming from the south on Highway 79 (northbound from I-8). Entering the campground from that direction will cause drivers to make a very sharp right turn on a limited visibility curve. Instead, we advise northbound drivers of larger RVs, rigs with tow vehicles or rigs with a limited turning radius to continue north approximately two miles past our entrance to the large paved rest area on the right (i.e. entrance to Harvey Moore Trail/East Side Trail Loop for Cuyamaca Rancho State Park). Use the large paved rest area to make a u-turn and head back south on Highway 79 for a straight entry to the campground. See this map for additional details.
Driving Through Oakzanita Springs
Oakzanita Springs RV Campground is a tighter park through which to maneuver. Depending on the experience of the driver and the occupancy of the park, drivers of larger rigs may have issues driving through the park. If bringing any RV over 32', we recommend you call the ranger station at (619) 445-2515 or visit Oakzanita Springs prior to arrival.
- Bike Trails
- Swimming Pool
- Whirlpool/Spa/Hot Tub
- RV Storage
- Pets Welcome
- Nature / Hiking Trails
- Mini Golf
- Restroom/Shower Facilities
- Picnic/BBQ Area
- Bocci Ball
Cottage (Sleeps 6/No Pets)
These cottages have a queen size bed, a set of single bunks, dinette and sofa. They include TV/Satellite (limited stations), heat and air conditioning, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, cups, glasses, electric coffee makers, toasters, microwave, BBQ grill, dish soap, paper towels and toilet paper. Linens are not included, although packages are available to rent. Please advise of your linen needs when booking. Linen packages include bedding and bath towels for two people. No pets in these cottages, please. Rate is for 4 persons. Add $5 per person over 4.
Cottage (Sleeps 6/Pet Friendly)
These cottages have a queen size bed, a set of single bunks, dinette and sofa. They include a TV with satellite reception (limited stations), heat and air conditioning, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, cups, glasses, electric coffee makers, toasters, microwave, BBQ grill, dish soap, paper towels and toilet paper.
Linens are not included, although packages are available to rent. Please advise of your linen needs when booking. Linen packages include bedding and bath towels for 6 people.
TT Cabin - with Bedroom (Sleeps 4/Pets Friendly)
These cabins have one bedroom with a queen bed and a living area with two-person sofa. Linens not included but available to rent; please advise when booking. No oven. Pets welcome for additional fee.
TT Cabin - with bedroom (Sleeps 4/No Pets)
The cabins have one bedroom with a queen bed and a living area with two-person couch. Linens not included but available to rent; please advise when booking. No oven. No pets.
Whether you're planning a retreat for the whole family, a group of friends or a getaway for two, there's no shortage of unique activities to explore at Oakzanita Springs RV Campground. Plan activities upon arrival or visit this page before your departure to plan ahead. Looking for more? Our friendly staff can fill you in on all of the great ways to make your stay a memorable experience.
We currently offer the following activities:
- Activities Director
- Bocci Ball
- Children's Playground
- Kids Activities
- Mini Golf
- Weekly Potlucks
- Arts & Crafts
- Card Room
- Children's Program
- Planned Activities
National Trails Day and Club Blazer Weekend
Starts: 06/06/2020 - Ends: 06/07/2020
Did you know June is National Get Outdoors Month? Come help us celebrate all month long. Get out and explore the great outdoors, hike our self-guided Nature Trail or join Cheryl on one of our guided hikes. You can also enjoy one of the many beautiful hikes in nearby Cuyamaca State Park which has some great views of the ocean and desert in the same hike. Don't forget the kiddos as we introduce them to the Club Blazer Team. Fun and educational weekend for all.
Life on the Wild Side
Starts: 06/13/2020 - Ends: 06/14/2020
Learn about the wildlife at Oakzanita, both the seen and the unseen, like racoons and hawks. We'll have nature crafts and games. Paint a life size replica of an animal track. Fun and informative weekend.
Father's Day Weekend
Starts: 06/20/2020 - Ends: 06/21/2020
Bring Dad up for a fun camping weekend. Get out and go for a hike or go fishing or peddle boating at Lake Cuyamaca. Kids can make a special Father's Day card and craft. Challenge Dad to football toss or see who's better at shooting the target with a nerf gun. A special Beer Tasting and Cheese Social will be held in honor of all Dads!
The Park After Dark
Starts: 06/27/2020 - Ends: 06/28/2020
Come learn what roams our park after dark. Learn about owls and dissect an owl pellet. What on earth is a ringtail cat? Are snakes out at night? Come learn all about our wacky creatures that are out at night.
Celebrate Independence Day Weekend
Starts: 07/04/2020 - Ends: 07/05/2020
Join us as we celebrate our country's independence. We will have so many fun activities, old-fashioned games, live music, 4th of July-themed crafts, and a live animal show. This holiday weekend is always fun and memorable. On the 4th, check out the schedule for local fireworks shows.
Take a Bite Out of Summer
Starts: 07/11/2020 - Ends: 07/12/2020
Learn about one of the most feared and fascinating creatures in the ocean. We will have fun games and crafts, and even edible art.
Starts: 07/25/2020 - Ends: 07/26/2020
Come cool off with a delicious rootbeer float or ice cream sundae. Stay cool and join us for games in the Lodge, Candy Bar Bingo or Minute to Win It games.
How the West was Fun
Starts: 08/01/2020 - Ends: 08/02/2020
Let's see if you have what it takes to survive like they did in the Old West. Come test your squirt gun skills, or maybe you're better with wild stick ponies. Can you rope a cow? Lots of fun for all ages.
What's More Fun than Camping?
Starts: 08/08/2020 - Ends: 08/09/2020
Help us celebrate National S'mores Day. We will have a yummy s'mores bar where you can try out all different kinds of s'mores. We'll even make cute s'mores crafts.
Got a Minute?
Starts: 08/15/2020 - Ends: 08/16/2020
Maybe you can win it. It's way too hot outside so we're moving inside. Games of speed and skill! Plus, Candy Bar Bingo, edible art, and of course, ice cream sundaes and rootbeer floats.
Super Soaked Weekend
Starts: 08/22/2020 - Ends: 08/23/2020
Come beat the summer heat with water games, balloon tosses and water brigades that will surely help you beat the summer heat.
Wind and Sea Weekend
Starts: 08/29/2020 - Ends: 08/30/2020
Make a kite or come make an edible art scene and help us paint our ocean mural.
Labor Day Weekend
Starts: 09/05/2020 - Ends: 09/06/2020
Enjoy the last big weekend of the summer with music and a live animal presentation. You can enjoy all your favorite ways to cool off like root beer float and ice cream sundaes. We will also be celebrating Member Appreciation, so join us for complimentary cake.
- Check In Time: 3 p.m.
- Check Out Time: 12 noon
- Upon check-in you may be asked to provide a valid ID, and a certificate of insurance and registration for your unit. Members should also have their membership card on hand.
- A completed Reservations for Minors form is required for all unaccompanied minors. To download the form, copy and paste this link into your browser: http://www.rvonthego.com/images/PDF/Reservations-For-Minors061917.pdf.
- Pets are allowed.
- The rates displayed do not include any applicable service fees or charges for optional incidentals.
- Late arrivals after 11 p.m. must park in the parking area next to the ranger station until the following morning. If you expect to arrive late, please call the ranger station at (619) 445-2515 to discuss your late arrival options.
- All arrivals must present a valid driver’s license, photo ID, insurance (both RV and tow vehicle), and registration. All vehicles must be in good operating condition. If any of these are not current or the vehicle is not in good operating condition you will be denied entry to the property.
Reservation & Payment Policies:
- Your credit card will be charged one night rack rate prior to arrival.
- To make changes to your reservation, please call our Reservation Department at (877) 864-2728 and specify that you booked your reservation online.
- If a RV/Tent site reservation is cancelled at least two days prior to arrival, an administrative fee of $25 will be charged prior to refunding any advance deposit. Otherwise the one night deposit will be forfeited.
- If a rental reservation is cancelled at least seven days prior to arrival, an administrative fee of $25 will be charged prior to refunding any advance deposit.
- Rental reservations that are cancelled within seven days of arrival are not eligible to receive a refund.
- In the case of multiple sites booked, cancellation penalties apply to each site that is cancelled or changed.
- Prices and site type are subject to availability.
- No refunds will be issued for early check out.
- Our entrance from the south to the north is a very sharp turn. We do not advise that large RVs use our campground entrance when coming from the south on Highway 79 (northbound from I-8). Entering the campground from that direction will cause drivers to make a very sharp right turn on a limited visibility curve. Instead, we advise northbound drivers of larger RVs, rigs with tow vehicles or rigs with a limited turning radius to continue north approximately two miles past our entrance to the large paved rest area on the right (i.e. entrance to Harvey Moore Trail/East Side Trail Loop for Cuyamaca Rancho State Park). Use the large paved rest area to make a u-turn and head back south on Highway 79 for a straight entry to the campground.
- Please be aware that when the campground is busy, drivers of larger rigs may have challenges finding a site.
- Driving through Oakzanita Springs, especially during weekends and holidays, can be a challenge for RVs over 32' and novice drivers. For first time visitors, we recommend that you visit us prior to your stay. If you are unable to make a visit prior to your stay, please feel free to contact the ranger station at (619) 445-2515 for questions or additional information.
- All campsites, building, restrooms, and laundry facility remain open year-round. The store is open Thursday through Sunday only. The pools are closed for season; however, the spa remains open year round.
- Keep in mind temperatures dip down most nights to freezing so be prepared for colder temps! Day time temps usually are between the low 50s and low 60s with occasional snow from November through April.
- Pressed logs and charcoal fires are permitted most of the year. Wood fires are allowed under low fire conditions only and conditions change daily. Call ahead to see if wood fires are being allowed.
- We have free WiFi available in our lodge. You will have cell phone service if your carrier is Sprint or Verizon.
- Our location is just 45 minutes from downtown. Perfect for San Diego residents! If you a San Diego visitor, we are just 45 minutes from all the great attractions San Diego has to offer! If you enjoy fishing, Cuyamaca Lake is 15 minutes away. You can hike the Cuyamaca state park trails which are endless and start right off our property.
- We have many great programs to offer fitting everyone's needs! Annual sites, monthly extended stay, guest camping, rally groups, and horse campsites are all available at Oakzanita! For more information, call Sheila at (619) 609-1927!